TEALS is an interesting program started by a Microsoft employee some years ago. It taps the enthusiasm and expertise of industry professionals who work with classroom teachers to bring CS course into schools that would not otherwise have them. The program is looking to expand to more schools across the US.
As December nears, TEALS (Technology Education and Literacy in Schools) is starting the process of recruiting new partner schools for the 2014-15 school year. TEALS (www.tealsk12.org) is an industry wide nonprofit program with a proven track record that is hosted within Microsoft YouthSpark. TEALS helps high schools build a sustainable computer science (CS) program by integrating industry software engineers into the classroom in a co-teaching model with a classroom teacher.
A detailed program description can be found at:
To learn more about how a school can add computer science to its course offerings, please complete the following action items:
- Register your interest at: http://tealsk12.org/about/register.php?ref=ops&type=schools so that we can add you to our database of interested schools and notify you as application materials become available
- Attend one of two conference call information sessions to learn more about the program and the school application process. The following school representatives are advised to attend, as all of these parties will play a role in the application process and in building a successful computer science program:
- School administrator
- District CTE representative
- Teacher interested in learning and teaching computer science full-time
- Guidance department representative
- Diversity engagement representative
Call #1: December 9, 2013 at 10pm EST/7pm PST
Join online meeting
Join by phone
+14257063500 (USA - Redmond Campus)
Conference ID: 60410873
Call #2: December 11, 2013 at 7pm EST/4pm PST
Join online meeting
Join by Phone
+19173881000 (USA, New York)
Conference ID: 586271907
- Read the detailed information packet which includes the official school partnership guide, checklist of requirements, and classroom teacher development plan. It will be made available on December 9, 2013.
- Apply! The online application will officially open on December 19, 2013 and applications will be accepted until March 3, 2014.
You can reach out to us via our contact page (http://tealsk12.org/contact/contact.html) if you have any questions.
Thank you and we look forward to your attendance at the information session.